Friday, July 8, 2011

You Are My Sunshine

This post contains a personal experience I had last night. I'm not a constant dreamer. I don't have dreams often while I sleep, vivid or otherwise. But, last night I can say that I had the most vivid dream I've had in a long, long time. Skylar and I were talking before we went to bed about moving in less than a month and the fact that he won't be working the month before he leaves. It's scary to both of us, and last night we weren't sure if we could do it. We said a prayer and went to bed. I still felt uneasy. After lying there for what seemed like forever, I fell asleep. They say dreams only last a matter of minutes, even though they can feel really long. In my dream, I heard this song my Grandma Turley used to sing. You are my sunshine. It's been about six years since she's passed away, and while I'm awake, I struggle trying to remember her voice. But, in this dream I knew immediately that it was her. I have one really distinct memory of her singing this song to me. I was staying with her for a week during one summer, and I was homesick the first night. I was little, so I wanted my mom. My Grandma rocked me and sang me that song. To this day, hearing that song makes me cry and miss her so much it hurts. I heard this in my dream, and it had the same calming effect that it had when I was little and missing my mom. I woke up at peace. My Grandma was the most beautiful, loving, selfless, and caring person I have ever known, and she still is. She came to me in a dream to calm my fears, and I am thankful for her. I don't have experiences like this one often, but I will never forget it.

No comments: