Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Most Prized Possession....for now..

Let me start by saying...I HATE my phone. I have had some rotten luck with phones in the past and this one I have now is just the is red after all...on top. I mean, it was twelve dollars on eBay..and for twelve dollars, it's still crap. It's funny how situations change and you have a different outlook on things. This past week and a half I've been contemplating super-gluing it to my hand. It is my most prized possession in that it's the only connection I have with Skylar. And, seeing as that I have NO CLUE when he is going to call, if my little piece of crap phone isn't by me I start to have a panic attack. It's probably pretty comical to onlookers when I notice my phone isn't within arms reach. I immediately go into hysterics and run around tearing the house apart looking for it. I'll tell you was the Sunday after Skylar left for basic training, and I assumed that he would probably call. Sunday is a pretty low key day, and from what I had heard it was when he would call. I was on edge all day just waiting for the little red phone to ring. No call...nada. So I went to bed feeling really miserable and fell asleep with the phone in my hand. Monday was Labor Day and I didn't think he would call. I had just finished working out and was relaxing in the living room. I knew the phone was in my room. I kept telling myself that he wasn't going to call. But, as I sat there I started to feel this growing panic...a feeling that I should get my phone. I shrugged it off because I'd been a panicky mess all week because of this phone, and I wasn't going to let it send me over the edge. The anxious feeling grew, and I kept getting this small feeling that I needed to check my phone. I was tired from the workout, and I didn't want to get up and check....but then the feeling came so strong that I literally jumped up and booked it to my room. I picked up my phone and I had...3 missed calls. I almost screamed. I pressed the call button and it went straight to his voicemail...*panic*. I tried again...and again, all while yelling for my mom and starting to ball my eyes out. But then it rang! I answered. I wish I could have recorded the beginning of that phone call, because it was hilarious. His first words were "What the HECK?!" I felt bad that our first phone call with him away started with me sobbing, haha. Needless to say, that phone hasn't left my side since. I am grateful for the technology we have today, so that I can hear his voice every week. Even if it's with the little crappy red phone.

No comments: