Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tribute to a Beautiful Story

So, I watched the newest film adaptation of Jane Eyre. I have waited to watch it because I was nervous about it. Most book based movies don't live up to my expectations, save a few. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels. I've read it so many times, that I could probably quote the whole thing....possibly...maybe. I've seen most of the Jane Eyre film versions. Since it seems like there are several HUNDRED, I haven't seen them all. I thought the newest one was ok. My favorite so far, is the one from 1996 with William Hurt as Edward Rochester. But no movie could ever beat the book. Which is usually the case in these situations. The book always makes me cry..not because it's sad, though parts of it are very sad. It's considered to be an important early feminist novel. I believe that Jane Eyre's character portrayed feminism in the right way. She's highly moral, passionate, and individualistic. She has a deep personal trust in God. She suffers things that I can't even imagine, yet she is never portrayed as a damsel in distress who needs saving, for she is highly self-reliant. What I admire most about her is her compassion. Even though she has nothing herself, she is always forgiving and compassionate. It's a beautiful novel and watching the movie just made me want to read it again. I'll probably be a better person for it.

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs" -Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will." -Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

No comments: